Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

So Dennis wanted to make sure he made it out to the cemetery to put flowers on the grandparents' graves today. We bought a couple of bouquets at the nursery, and today we went out there.

It was another gorgeous day. During Memorial weekend, the cemetery has all these flags set up for all of the military vets that are buried there. Its so beautiful.


Dennis drove up to the general vacinity where his grandparents are buried. But I immediatly spotted the grave stone that would actually be the kids' great grandparents on their mom's side. They placed a bouquet on their grave.


Dennis's grandparents are just right down the row from there. His dad and uncle had already been there. We left a bouquet for them too. Dennis spent a moment alone.
I never got to meet his grandparents. His grandma has been gone for years, but I met Dennis just shortly after his grandpa passed.


While we were driving up and around the back end of the cemetery, Bubba spotted Grandpa Clarence's flag. Dennis hasnt seen his flag before. And it was right on the road. We were so lucky that Bubba spotted it. Because there are hundreds of flags out there, and its hard to read the names.



So, yesterday we bought two bouquets. One for Den's Grandparents, and one for the kid's great grandparents. The truth is, is that my grandma is also buried in this cemetery, and I havent been to her grave since she was buried almost 8 years ago. I wasnt planning on going out there with Dennis. I wasnt even exactly sure of where her grave was located. My grandma was a very special person. She loved me so much, I know it because she told me, all the time. I spent more time with her during my childhood than I did my other grandparents. Mostly because we lived in the same town. She really did march to her own beat, everything I remember about her is all positive, funny, inspiring, and warm. I felt like I really owed it to her to pay her a visit. Heck, I owed it to the whole family. We stopped at Safeway on the way to the cemetery and I got a bouqet of pink carnations. She loved carnations. We drove around and searched for a long time and couldnt find her grave. Finally I spotted the directory, so I ran in there and I found her listing. I took off running across the grass and it still took me a while to find it. On the way to it, I spotted Cindy's dad's grave. Just about 20 yards away was my grandma's. Dennis brought the car around to meet me there. My grandpa had already been there. He grows those roses for my Grandma. There was a memorial service going on right next to my grandma's grave, no joke. I really wanted to talk to her. But with that going on, I just layed down the flowers. And studied her stone, and my grandpa's side of the stone too.


I am so glad that I went out there. I am definitely going out there more now that I have gotten over those fears. I dont know if anyone in my family really knows that I have never been there. I am sure that if my grandpa found out, that he would be really upset with me. That is why I didnt want to have to call him to ask him where my grandma was buried. I will never forget now.

3 comments:

Stacy Armentrout Skinner said...

today makes you think of a lot of special people is our lives.

Trish said...

I know how hard it is to make to someone specials grave.

In havent been to my mom's in awhile. I may have to spot on Friday.

Carrie K said...

*sweet*

and its kind of a cool coincidence that shes keeping company with cindys dad...

im glad you made it out there...with carnations...