Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Biting the bullet

Well, the toothache is gone. For now anyways. I found a lovely dentist office that got me in today and helped me out. I got to try gas for the first time and OMG it was wonderful. I love the gas.

So here is the story, because I know you all want to read about my trip to the dentist. On Sunday I start to get this awful toothache, which isnt too uncommon, due to the fact that I have a broken tooth (#14 tooth to be exact). Usually I just brush and swish water around and the ache goes away. Then I thank my lucky stars that I have dodged a trip to the dentist. I hate the dentist. But this wasnt the case on Sunday, the ache didnt go away. Some Tylenol helped until the middle of the night when the ache woke me up. Took some Advil and Oragel and went back to bed. Monday I knew that a trip to the dentist was necessary so I started calling around. All of the dentists that I called were either out of town or not taking new patients. I finally found one that would get me in on Wednesday, so I took it. And that leads me to today. The ache was the worst last night and today. Kept me up all night, even after having to resort to my stash of Vicotin pills.

I had anxiety about the dentist all day. Almost to tears sometimes. Went to the dentist and from the minute the nurse lady took me back she made me feel very comfortable. I was still apprehensive but at least more comfortable about having it fixed. When she told me I needed a root canal I almost broke down. That was like my worst nightmare. I opted to get the "gas mask" even though my insurance doesnt pay for it. Bastards. I am sooo glad I did that. The gas made me feel, I dont know....awesome??? I was laughing and telling sarcastic jokes, I probably looked like a complete idiot. I was really excited that I couldnt even feel the injections at all!!! The type of root canal that I got was called a "pulp" and now I have a temporary filling which is like cement in my mouth and tastes like cloves. I have to go back in a month and get the full blown root canal and a crown. Yay me. Not looking forward to it, but right now my pain is gone. Everything is still a little numb, and I dont feel the best. I think I have a hangover from the gas.

So anyway, I kind of see this as a good step for me. I finally went to the dentist after, oh nine or ten years. *gasp*. And I plan on going back until my mouth is fixed. When its all done, I can eat food like a normal person. The hygenist is going to put me on a preventative maintenance program. I am already an avid brusher, but after this I just might become compulsive!!!

OMG this has been the most boring post ever.... my apologies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I told you you would love the GAS. The best $30 legal high I know of. My insurance doesn't pay for it either, but it is worth every nostril full (and I shut my mouth and breath in all I can). I am glad you feel better and glad you are getting on a set dental program. Love Ya!

Cindy