Sunday, September 7, 2008

I'm game!

After my trip to Wal-Mart, better known as "the worst place in the world to be on your day off", I decided that I need to do something else. I've tried avoiding them, and shopping somehwere else, but I ended up spending way too much money. Today I was starting to wonder if the extra money was worth keeping my insanity and not reaching across the scanner and shoving the divider stick strait up the cashiers ass!!

Fast forward to this afternoon: We went to a friend's daughter's birthday party and in my visiting with the other "moms" I was re-aquainted with "The Grocery Game". You know, you clip coupons from the Sunday paper, and the grocery game helps you by telling you which coupons to spend, and when and where to spend them. The Grocery Game tells you where all the sales are at your local stores. They help you "stockpile" dry goods. Bottom line is you buy when the items are the cheapest and save lots and lots of money. I have done the grocery game before and I did save, but I quit doing it because for one, I didnt have much room to have a "stockpile" per say, and two, well, I am just lazy. One of the ladies there has a stockpile of 40 boxes of cereal that she has bought for less then $1.75 each box, and they are good brand name cereals. She also has 14 packages of Venus razor refills that she got...... FOR FREE!!!! She also has shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc. Things that dont go bad for a while, that she bought for dirt cheap! She has a group of ladies that all participate in the Grocery Game together, and they do a coupon train. In clipping coupons you come across some that are great deals but you have no use for. ie.. diapers, cat food, baby food, etc. So you put them in the coupon train for someone else to use, and you might get some good ones out of the train that someone else put in there for stuff they dont need. Oh, and one of the best things that this lady shared with me? She hasnt shopped at Wal-Mart in monthes!!!! All of these great deals have come from Safeway, and Rite-Aid.

So..... I was thinking about starting our own group here in town. I am talking about a group of about 4-5 girls maybe. You would be responsible for getting your own Sunday papers and clipping the coupons. The Grocery Game is $7.00/month. That is way cheap considering, if you play right, you could save at least $100/month.

So... who's with me????

2 comments:

Dawna said...

Interesting.... I might be interested in playing, let me think about it. (BTW, I posted your recipe- even said it's just for you!)

Trish said...

I would be totally game if I lived close.

I do my own version of the GG. I love hearing the cashier tell me how much I saved.