Monday, June 21, 2010

Garden Goodies (a display of my poor photography skills)

Last year Dennis bought me a whiskey barrel and 4 tomato plants. We had fun planting them, and watching them grow all summer long. Everyday we would go out and pick cherry tomatos and yellow pear tomatos and talk about all the things we are going to grow "next year".

He would say "Next year, we are doing 3 big barrels! I want big tomatos, and peppers! And something else, like peas!"

And I would say "yes, that sounds like a great idea, a salsa garden!"

We did get our 3 big barrels, and a few other pots.

We did get our big tomato plants, and our peppers, and more. It was a chore planting all the pots, etc. But every evening I hang out for a few minutes in my little container garden and check out how much things have grown. I count how many blooms I have, and shew(sp?) away bugs, etc. There is something a little peaceful, and a little theraputic about chilling amongst the plants.



Cilantro and pansies in one corner...


This large pot holds green beans, 8 ball zuchinni, and cucumbers


Strawberries, peppers, tomatos, pansies. I love pansies, they are so easy.


A few strawberries here and there, nothing crazy. There are just 3 plants in this little pot. I just love raising a few strawberry plants. Maybe I will add more every year. It would be amazing to have enough for some shortcake someday.


These are little tiny youngster green beans. Real green beans!! Growing in MY yard!!


This is my problem child... onions. It was an impluse buy at the nursery. Of the 12 or so I planted, these 2 are the only ones that look like they are doing anything. For one, they dont get enough sunlight (kind of hard when the sun wont shine... ) but I also dont think they like the soil I gave them.


These are large tomatos called Early Girls! Shouldnt be too long and these blooms will start forming into tomatos.


And these are all cherry tomatos. Super Sweet 100's to be exact!! My favorite!


This is a jalepeno! Isnt that wild?? I am growing jalepeno peppers!!!


AND bell peppers!!! This one is a go getter!! It's almost ready for pickin'!!!


The one thing we said we would grow this year was peas, but we couldnt find any pea plants, and it was too late to start any from seed. So.. next year!! Oh and I forgot to mention, my entire garden is organic!! I used all organic soil and compost, and organic fertilizers made with chicken crap and things like that. I want to expand my crop and variety year by year and someday it just might be pretty sustainable!

2 comments:

Carrie K said...

im jealous of your barrels of goodness...

and dude...that pepper grew fast!!

Lisa said...

Amy Amy quite contrary...how does your garden grow (or something like that). :)

Looks GREAT girl!!!

ps- just so you know...organic milk has even MORE puss and blood than the 'inorganic' kind.