Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Diagnosis

I am not a doctor. I don't know for sure what this all means.
I had my follow up appointment today for my hormone test.

Turns out I have PCOS and possible "adrenal fatigue."
My progesterone levels are extremely low, and my testosterone is pretty high.
My Estradiol to progesterone ratio is like 36, when 100-200 is considered normal.
Pretty crazy stuff. The doctor didnt spend too much time with me.
Handed me some pamphlets and copies of some magazine articles, and told me that she was calling in a prescription for some topical hormone cream.

I am not sure how I feel about the cream. I dont really know if I want to take hormones. She didnt even tell me the name of the cream, so I can't do research on it or anything.

I think I might feel better about going at this naturally. There has got to be other answers than "here you need this cream." I have never questioned her before, but hormones are crazy stuff. I dont think you really should mess around with that. Maybe I should get a 2nd opinion from an actual OBGYN? I'm just not sure. I really would like to return to my normal self. This whole acne, facial hair, and low libido thing isn't fun.

What to do?

3 comments:

thiggins1978 said...

I would get a second opinion. Especially if you are unsure.

Dina said...

I have borderline PCOS--I even had 3 cysts rupture--so I feel your pain. PCOS is a hormone imbalance...so if they can get everything balanced, you will feel much better. Hugs!

Lisa said...

:( I don't know a lot about Polycyctic Ovarian Syndrome but I have taken hormones (both pill form and cream) because mine were out-of-whack. From what I know, the creams are much lower doses than the pills. Think of it like an antidepressant- a person takes those long enough to get balanced out. I think hormone creams are the same- with a balance as the end result not cream-forever, right? Your doc sounds like a dud though. Have you thought about going elsewhere? I go to Anderson in Richland- and I highly recommend him.

Hugs to you girl!
Lisa