Tuesday, May 18, 2010

keeping abreast....

I've got a problem.

One of my boobs feels different than the other one....

I have been told that everyone's boobs are different, so when I noticed, I was just like... "hmmm, how long has this been like that?"

My boobs change size all the time... because I am a yo-yo dieter and I go up and down in my weight so much.

I made myself a mental note to talk to my doc about it... someday.

I had my annual female "check up" at the beginning of April. She did her routine "hands on" breast exam.... and she noticed.

So, I thought, I better say something.

She didnt think it was anything to be concerned about, but recommended I get a mammogram, just for peace of mind.

So about a week later, I go in for this mammogram. Fun stuff...

The tech had to take 2 sets of pictures, and I still had no answers by the end of the appointment. I was told I would need to come back for an ultrasound, to get a better look at it.

So about another week later... I went in for the ultrasound. The radiologist didnt see anything to be concerned about, but suggested I schedule a 6 month follow up. Simply because I had never had any mammograms, or ultrasounds, to compare this one too. So, the 6 month follow up thing made sense.

Imagine my suprise when I got a call from Kadlec imaging last Thursday. Apparantly there was a spot on my mammogram, that they didnt check during the ultrasound, and they wanted me to come back to have it looked at.

That brings us to today. I went in for yet another ultrasound. The ultrasound was done on the top of my breast last time. This time they focused on the bottom. The lady "did her thing" and then the radiologist came in.

This time, it wasnt such good news. "its not anything to lose sleep over.. but the only way to know for sure, is to get a biopsy." and "i'm sure everything is fine, given your age, and the fact there is no history of cancer in your family... but... the only way to know for sure is to get the biopsy"

ummmmmm....ok???

"The other option.. is to do a 6 month follow up, and if the lump is still there, we could discuss the biopsy at that time.....but....all that is doing is delaying the biopsy"

Of course... the decision is mine.

At this point, the biopsy has not been scheduled. And I am completely undecided. I go back and forth, back and forth, and back and forth.... I have asked a few for advice, and I have recieved mixed responses.. so that doesnt help. lol. My mom tells me "GET THE BIOPSY!"

soooooo...... I have a huge decision to make. I have heard that the biopsy is pretty simple, but if they come back to find out that it is cancer, the cancer cells have been disrupted by the procedure and they start to spread. But, on the other hand, my chances of actually having cancer are like 1% or something.

So, that is what is going on with me.... I havent blogged about this experience at all until now. And very few people are aware that I even went in for that first mammogram. But at this point, I feel like writing about it might help me.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Amy~ I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. I am sure these decisions have not been easy ones and that your heart has been heavy. Bravo to you for seeing your doctor and going for the mammograms! That was huge and a brave thing to do.

Praying that God gives you the answers to help guide you.

Lisa said...

Okay. deep breath.

First of all, there is a plan FAR greater than one decision...and rest knowing that His plan is to bring you the kind of peace that surpasses ALL understanding. His plan for you is GOOD- He wants you to prosper and not harm you.

You ARE loved. THAT is number one.

Number two- pray. Hard. Lean on Him ... (and I'm humbled to be a part of your community that you lean toward too...I love you, friend).

Three. I had a lump a few years ago and it ended up being related to my caffeine intake. Do you drink a lot of coffee or tea or soda? If so, then at the very least try to cut that stuff out while you are trying to make your decision. You may notice enough of a difference that you won't need anything further.

Cancer is a scary word. I know how scared you must be because I was having those same thoughts when I had my lump...and sometimes I wonder if it's simply a reminder of our humanity and how fleeting life is. It's probably nothing, Amy. It's probably just some benign (sp?) nothing and you'll be relieved when you know it for sure.

That being said, if it were me, I'd cut the caffeine and if it didn't shrink down, I'd get the biopsy. If it is something that needs to come out, it's better to get it sooner rather than later, right?

Love you girl...and I'll be praying CONSTANTLY.

Carrie K said...

you already know what i think :) i just wanted to say your title is perfect and youre super brave to write this on here...i adore you :)

oh and im praying for your decision and for the "thing" whatever it is...